The logistics sector in Germany and worldwide
Clearly - without land transport, sea freight and air freight, our modern global economy would not function. The importance of logistics for Germany and globalisation is not really tangible for many people. No wonder: the logistics sector is as diverse as the companies and employees who work in it. We provide clarity and give you an initial overview with the following figures, data and facts. You will see: Logistics is indeed the backbone of our economy!
- The logistics sector is on a growth path. Technological developments such as e-commerce, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things are pushing this growth enormously. The German logistics industry alone turned over around 319 billion euros in 2022. For 2023, an increase in turnover to more than 330 billion euros is expected.
- Just over 4.6 billion tonnes of goods are transported annually in Germany alone - and the trend is rising.
- With a turnover of 29.8 billion euros, Deutsche Post is by far the largest European logistics company. Deutsche Bahn follows in second place with a turnover of 17.4 billion euros.
- More than three million employees work in the German logistics sector. This makes logistics a major employer in Germany. Many of these employees work at German logistics hubs such as the Port of Hamburg, the Port of Duisburg or Frankfurt Airport.
- More than 70 per cent of German logistics companies provide training. This makes companies like Skyline Express an important job engine that promotes talented young people and makes them fit for the logistics of the future.
Do you have questions about the potential of logistics or are you looking for a reliable and competent partner for the transport of your goods? We will be happy to advise you and also assist you with customs advice!